Most knee issues are cause by injuries or normal wear and tear can cause knee problems to resurface. Most knee issues are down to wear and tear and have usual settled within 6 weeks.
Facts & Figures:
- As we age it is very common to get osteoarthritis in your knee joint, the symptoms are stiffness and pain.
- 1 in 3 teenagers have knee issues at some point.
When to get advice:
- Your knee is locking or not bearing your weight.
- Pain that gets worse and worse.
- Your knee is hot or swollen.
- The problem has not improved over 6 weeks.
Move or rest?
First 24 hours
- Gently move your knee every hour you’re awake for 10/20 seconds.
- Rest your knee but try not to keep it still for too long.
After 48 hours
- Try and use your knee in your normal activities and work don’t overdo it!
- Don’t lift anything or engage in extreme sports until you have less pain and good movement.
- Gentle exercise can relieve pain
- When going up the stairs reduce the strain by leading with your good leg.
- When going down the stairs reduce the strain by leading with good leg.
Check out the exercise in the tools sections