Elbow issues are usually the result of repetitive movement or sports. The two most common elbow issues are known as tennis elbow, which affects the inside of the elbow and golf elbow; which effects the outside of the elbow joint. As with most joint injuries it should settle down within 6 weeks. If you are in pain or have concerns always seek professional advice.
Facts & Figures:
- 1 in 200 adults are affected by tennis elbow
- 90% or people suffering with elbow pain get better by following advice and taking pain killers
When to get advice:
- You cannot move your elbow
- Pain is getting worse and worse
- Your elbow feels hot or there is swelling
- After 6 weeks there is no improvement
Move or rest?
First 24 hours
- Gently move your elbow every hour you’re awake for 10/20 seconds
- Rest your elbow but try not to keep it still for too long.
After 48 hours
- Try and use your elbow in your normal activities and work don’t overdo it!
- Don’t lift anything or engage in extreme sports until you have good movement.
- Gentle exercise can relieve pain
Check out the exercise in the tools sections