We all know how easy it is to have an ankle injury but having a slight trip or rolling your ankle. It is painful and can cause some bruising and swelling. These should settle within 6 weeks. Some muscle weakness can cause these issues to flare up from time to time.
Facts & Figures:
- Most ankle injuries can be treated with correct painkiller and some good advice.
- There are over 1.5 million visits to A & E with ankle related injuries every year
When to get advice:
- If your ankle can’t bear any weight
- If your ankle appears misshaped
- The pain is getting worse and worse
- Your calf or ankle is hot, tender or swollen.
Move or rest?
First 24 hours
- Gently move your ankle at regular intervals when you’re awake.
- Rest your ankle but make sure you don’t immobilise it completely.
After 48 hours
- Gentle exercise can really help your ankle and manage the pain.
- When going up the stairs reduce the strain on your ankle by leading with your good leg.
- When going down the stairs reduce the strain on your ankle by leading with good leg.
- Avoid doing heavy lifting or sports until you have better movement and less discomfort.
Check out the exercise in the tool’s sections